Hubert Howe Bancroft Junior High School opened its doors for the first time in September 1929 with 700 seventh, eighth and ninth grade students and sixteen teachers
The school was named after Hubert Howe Bancroft (May 5, 1832 – March 2, 1918) who was an American historian and ethnologist who wrote, published and collected works concerning the western United States, Texas, California, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and British Columbia. He was the first Californian historian.
In 1981 Bancroft added the performing arts magnet. Beginning with the 1994-95 school year, Bancroft Junior High officially changed its name to Bancroft Middle School and we welcomed sixth graders to our school for the first time.
On April 6, 2005, we commemorated the 75th anniversary of Bancroft with a gala celebration.
In 2015 we added a STE[+a]M Magnet, focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering, plus Art and Math,.
Today Bancroft has approximately 900 students and 40 teachers.